Tuesday, January 15, 2013

fathers

Sometimes I meet fathers and they worry me. I meet these men, often acting snotty or selfish, and then I find out that they are fathers, they have little kids. Why did they not change? Why did making a child not help them overcome their all absorbing self interest? I have always assumed that after making a new person, ones values change, they reach a higher level; the more superficial things matter less and the truly gratifying things rise to the top of the consciousness.

In my imagination, someone makes a baby and then relates everyone they meet to that baby and how they feel about that baby. They see the tired person on the train and see the once beloved baby that that tired person once was. They see their boss yelling at them and see the little kid running around with a wooden sword and muddy knees. They see these people and empathize with them, forgive them, and love them for the little kids they once were and for the sake of the love their parents had for them.

This is what happens in my imagination. I think my imagination is naive.

1 comment:

  1. I like that thought very much. I will try to see people like that more often. Thanks friend for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete